Hello everyone and welcome to my transcriptions exercises and lessons page for guitar and bass.

CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT MY BAND-THAT'S ME ON BASS!

I am a pro player and teacher so this stuff is as accurate as you will find anywhere on the net, however the work is limited by time available and the usual software frustrations. If you find an error or omission please let me know as I'm keen that this stuff should be as accurate as possible. There's a lot of bad tab out there, especially the bass transcriptions, so we could all pull together to make this site the one to use. Similarly if you have any accurate transcriptions please let me know and we'll share them. You may freely use this stuff, but remember that it is not available for profit as this would infringe copyright in many cases. Those looking for a workout should start with some left hand ex's, then right hand stuff, then scales and arpeggios. Finally, I insist that all my students make time for some MUSIC. This should include studying the works of others-your peers- such as other guitar pieces, and the truly smart player studies music from whatever source possible. I have applied violin, cello, piano, sax, trumpet and whatever else to guitar and bass. For an example of how this broadens a musicians approach, consider Allan Holdsworth-plays lead like a sax or violin (which he also has studied) and plays chords like a pianist would. Also check out Dick Dale playing guitar as if it were a mandolin or bouzouki! Your practise time should also make room for some improvisation-always more fun with a friend!


A home for some considered, accurate and useful stuff for people who play fretted lumps of wood with wire attached.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

King Crimson "I Talk To The Wind"




8 comments:

Harry Spade said...

Very nice blog. I've been looking for something like this as I do a lot of practicing while plugged into my computer.

Roberto said...

Wonderful transcription. Thank you. Are you any idea about the basss line? I made a tentative tanscription. If you like, I can send it to you. I would like to know what do you think about the harmonic background of the chorus. Here there is (I think) no keyboard and the intersection between the melodic lines (voice, bass, flute and guitar) show something like that: E - Bsus4 - E - Bsus4 - Am - B7 - Am7 - B7. Do you agree? Moreover, in the last beat of the Bsus4 bar I feel a F#m7. Anyway, thank you for your hard work. And sorry for my English. Roberto.

Unknown said...

Hi Roberto. I've had a few comments regarding the bass on the album, so I think I might just do it.

Anonymous said...

Hello Paul,

Nice tabs! For the verse I feel it should be Cmaj7 (guitar solo over measure 64 + 68 are full of B.
For the chorus I think Roberto is right except for the Bsus4; this should definitly by a Bm!

Greetings,
Serge

Unknown said...

Agreed. Thanks for reading. I wish this stuff was commercially available-it would save us working so hard! The reason I have left chord symbols out of the KC transcriptions is that they are simply intended as renditions of what the guitar actually played. No chord, no symbol! I could analyze it but putting the transcriptions up allows us all to analyze it for ourselves as you and Roberto have done. Tecnically he is right about the B chord. There is no third so it is technically neither major nor minor. But it SOUNDS minor doesn't it. Now that's a neat trick.

Roberto said...

Yes, it sounds like a minor, but why? I can't listen a third minor (nor major!). I can't explain this effect...

Anonymous said...

Hello again,

IMHO I think the main "problem" is that the guitar doesn't play any whole chords. Instead all the different instruments are playing notes that eventually together
build the chords one finally can hear. Anyway, Paul, thanks! Can I please use some parts of your transcriptions for my site?
(http://www.sergegirard.eu/nl_KINGCRIMSON.html). Of course with mentioning
your name + site.

Thanks,

Serge

Unknown said...

That would be fine Serge. Would love to see accurate transcriptions available from DGM though. I could do more but it's finding the time. Perhaps putting these where everyone can see them would encourage those with the necessary skills to join in. And i'm sure you know how difficult and time consuming these are!